Tuesday 19 January 2021

A little bit earlier in the day, but on a much gloomier afternoon.

 Cor, definitely a bit gloomy today. But a great walk nevertheless, really succesful on crusts, although I didn't find anything particularly dramatic! 

This was in the oak compartment just north of the acid grassland compartment. Here is a crust going greenish and rotten I think. Algal colonisation? No idea on the crust, could be almost anything.


I know it wasn't very exciting but it is important to think how a crust changes its appearance from developing through to mature to (apparently) senescent and finally decaying.


I also found some Woodwart on what could perhaps have been hazel or oak. I really have to get better at this!





In the front Beech compartment I failed on Holly Parachute, even on finding any holly leaves! And then there was this crust, that I thought should have been Fuscoporia, but the photos might indicate a very mature Byssomerulius corium. I thought I could now see wrinkles that I had originally taken for pores. However it looked very thick to me! The colour was not impossible, but a bit darker than I had been used to. It looked very tidy, whatever it was. 


and a closer view:



This is another crust below, a little more solid with a blackened edge. It may be on a fallen Beech branch. Note the slightly darker colours of some of the patches to the left. The patch of crust lower down has been covered with a black layer. Looks a little like Hymenochaete corrugata, but that is generally found on Hazel. I didn't bring a hand lens to check for setae, or KOH to check for blackening. Will I be able to find it again?


and again a closer view:



In the front Beech Compartment, there was a whitish crust on Birch bark, very much integrated into the bark. I wonder if it could perhaps be Hyphodontia sambuci again?



When I got out onto Knight's Drive, there was a newly fallen dead oak branch, with plenty of green foliose lichens, bits of what I think was a woodwart and lots of what I thought could have been initially quite fleshy Peniophora quercina (Pers.) Cooke, with its particular colour changes as it wets and dries and blacker margins that curl up as it dries. This is the best example I have seen to date. I was very pleased to see what I think is this crust again, and I wonder whether it actually does better on horizontal branches higher up in the canopy (Andy Overall), rather than lower down or even on the ground? 


Further along the branchlet, which was about an inch in diameter. Slightly more dried out I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment