Tuesday 22 August 2017

Leybourne Lakes

What a pity I didn't have a camera with me today.

Nice to see Purple Loosestrife, Fleabane and Birds-foot Trefoil in full flower. I checked on the details of the Birds-foot Trefoil, Lotus corniculatus, as it is such a common but interesting plant, and also I could compare it with the Narrow-Leaved Birds-foot Trefoil, Lotus glaber (tenuis), which I had seen at Oare Marshes the day before. 

In Rose, the text refers to the low, creeping, more or less hairless character of the plant, and the solid stems of the native form. The sepal teeth are clearly upright at the bud stage, and I believe at a later stage (the mature flower - might also be worth checking in fruit?) when you look at the overall shape of the teeth, you see that the upper two teeth do not continue to difurcate at the tips - they should be near parallel, or even converge, giving an overall "obtuse angle" at the base.


Whetsted Gravel Pits, 29/06/2014.


No comments:

Post a Comment