Saturday 22 August 2015

Dene Park


There weren't many birds around at all in the heat, but I thought I heard a Buzzard calling in the area of the Scambles. The Purple Helleborine is nearly over its flowering period now, and I think I might try to mark the position of this year's flowering spikes. The big spike on the West side of Path 2 is just by a big oak, 100 m from the nearest tip of the triangle at Ringlet Corner. I thought again that I should do something about the Rhododendron and Laurel

The Lesser Spearwort is flowering well in its small regular patch along the dark path, but not the wettest part of the path, and there is a lot of Broad-leaved Willowherb along the dark path as well. The Goldenrod is just about out as well. If anything I think it may have spread a little since last year. Another good yellow is Yellow Pimpernel.

In amongst the Large-flowered Willowherb there was what looked like Purple Loosestrife as well, by the path through Knights Wood just before Sooty Corner. I also saw the clump of Wood Sage along the return path.

I was glad to see some Eyebright in flower on the path through Knights Wood, and also along Path 2. Also seen were Enchanters' Nightshade, Upright Hedge Parsley, Mint, Self-heal, Common Figwort, Hedge Woundwort, Field Scabious, Common Fleabane, Marsh Thistle, Ragwort, Common Nettle, Bramble, Agrimony, Ribwort and also all three of Broom, Perforated St Johns Wort and Woodbine in fruit. There is also a resurgence of Creeping Buttercup, Wood Avens and Herb Robert, together with Coltsfoot in leaf. The Angelica inflorescences were attracting large numbers of flies and wasps.

No comments:

Post a Comment