Wednesday 24 February 2016

Walking around Nagden

I walked all the way around the South Swale National Nature Reserve today, past Castle Coote and around Nagden Marshes, a nice long walk.

At Castle Coote itself there were many Wigeon, a few Teal and groups of Redshanks. A Little Egret was scooting about looking for food, and a Curlew was seen.


The whole marsh was alive with the sound of Skylarks, but looking closely there were also quite a lot of Meadow Pipits.

On Castle Coote itself there were also a couple of Linnets, this male singing its heart out!



Looking from Castle Coote on the South Swale NNR towards Shellness on the Isle of Sheppey with the turbines of the London Array in the background was quite a cheery sight.


And there was a great Thames Barge moored up off the mouth of Faversham Creek, gorgeous in its majesty.


At the far end of the walk (it was a long one!) at Nagden Marshes there were a few bushes, which contained Meadow Pipits, a Blackbird - and a Corn Bunting! Such a "fat" bird, very streaky, with a large pinky bill and pink legs and a very obvious dark eye.



and a view to show a streaky crown to the head,






On the way back, to my intense surprise I came across a Short-eared Owl, Asio flammeus, very suddenly, as I breasted the seawall, over by Castle Coote, and was quite sure of it just by eye. I didn't really get the telescope on to it properly as it see-sawed off over the marsh and pools seaward of the wall, but I did manage to get some flaky shots as it zigged off along the borrow dyke. I think you could agree the long, narrow, but distinct white trailing edge to the wings, very obvious in these lighting conditions towards the sun, and even possibly the head collar darker than the underside behind, even in this heavily cropped photo.


These owls tend to rely largely on small mammals such as voles, and may eat about three a day on average. However they also eat other mammals, such as rabbits and even stoats, and may often take birds such as waders or passerines. Insects are eaten, but do not appear to be their preference!

Just as I got to The Sportsman, blow me down if there wasn't another sighting, possibly the same bird of course, which might have been sitting down on the seawall just by the kissing gate by the back of The Sportsman as Monty and I approached, but it quickly wandered off to have a rest on some posts down the track leading from the back of the pub, actually fairly near the Graveney Road.


I sneaked up the road to catch a closer view - but I don't think I was fooling this wise old bird!


A small bird of prey flew past in a straight line. Wings not particularly broad, or pointed, and a bulging chest. I know its a bit fanciful, but from this highly cropped picture, I do wonder whether it might have been a female Merlin??


And all throughout this remarkable afternoon, Monty was taking care of me, what a great companion he is!




No comments:

Post a Comment