Wednesday 20 August 2014

Below Brenchley

I got to the viewpoint to the north of Brenchley and was very impressed. The whole of the Low Weald is spread out before you. Beyond it the Lower Greensand Ridge rises up in the far distance apparently along the whole length of the horizon. I drove about for a bit trying to find the footpaths until I found a pull-in on the side of Knowle Road below Knole Cottages, more or less in sight of the viewpoint. 

The land on the slope just here is arable and the footpath has not been fully maintained. The crop is almost weedless except in the grassed tramline tracks, there is no grassed headland here and virtually the only non-crop vegetation is in the actual ditches themselves. This is mainly Nettle, Willowherb, Hedge Bindweed, with a bit of Purple Loosestrife. 

The wood just uphill of the path had a buzzard circling low close by, calling regularly, and possibly roosting there, perhaps having had a nest this year. Marked on the map as Winsborough Wood, it looks as though it might have some useful habitat, a mix of woodland with a bit of rough grass, worth investigating at some stage. 



I passed the wood by for the moment.  The area is very quiet and peaceful, with some-one setting a bonfire in the garden of the White Cottage. I followed the ditches and then the marked footpath towards the White Cottage. There were a couple of walkers travelling in the other direction consulting the map to see where the footpath had gone. 

The path eventually finds its way through the garden of the White Cottage to Mile Oak Road. Mile End is a really nice tiny little hamlet with a super wooden sign. 

I walked along the quiet Knole Lane until I reached the footpath by Orchard Place Farm Fishing Ponds that leads north to Pearsons Green Road. This is a long well treed path passing between the ponds, even if the oaks are a bit scraggy. There in a junction I found what looked large enough to be an Emperor Dragonfly - it looked quite dark along the abdomen but I just saw a greenish hint to the side of the thorax - a female possibly. The path has been churned up by at least one horse - there is one in the paddock of Orchard Place Farm.

Pearsons Green Road leads to the East quickly back into Knole Road which turns back South through some fields of longer grass to either side. Oddly enough there was a CCTV warning sign. As I walked up the road I thought I heard a young woodpecker yakking in a dead tree along a fisheries track, and then I heard a young robin hungrily chitting for food to its parents in the excellent mixed hedgerows. I then walked past the Longbrooks development and then the junction with Knole Lane, to where the car is parked.

As I passed the junction opposite the very attractive gates of Trenches Farm, I was suddenly enveloped by a large group of long-tailed Tits and some Warblers (Chiffchaffs?) Calling gently to themselves, this was a magical moment as I stood still enough not to alarm the birds and I got great views as well as listening, for what seemed to be about two minutes. 



Overall I had walked about two and a half kilometres, see maps below.





Back at the car I greeted another dogwalker before heading off to Dene Park to complete my target with two quick circuits. No sign of Purple Hairstreaks in the cool of the evening today, despite some sunshine. 



No comments:

Post a Comment