Sunday 21 August 2022

Queendown Warren

 

This looks to me like a typical mine of the Hawthorn Midget, Phyllonorycter corylifoliella (Hübner, 1796), tending to locate over the midrib or one of the main veins. A silvery surface to the mine with spirals or rings of brown specks of frass quite obvious, especially in comparison to the silvery mines of Phyllonorycter leucographella. This appears to be a very common mine, found a bit more often in East Kent than West Kent. The mines are found increasingly through the summer into the autumn. I found about a dozen possibles today, so why don't I see them at Dene Park? Is it because this is a moth that prefers more open woodlands? I have seen it around towards the gravel pits, so this seems possible. I should check the hedgerows perhaps.



This leaf seems to have a fairly thick frass-filled gallery leading to a blotch, which was now untenanted. There was an egg on the underside of the leaf. I came across about 5 similar mines at Queendown. Could this be Ectoedemia atricollis (Stainton, 1857), although it doesn't look much like some of the other examples I suspect to be this species, where the gallery follows the leaf margin closely and seems rather narrower.


 

These curled-over brown lobe tips look a bit like very old mines of Parornix anglicella (Stainton, 1850). 



No comments:

Post a Comment