Sunday 22 September 2019

Beech in Dene Park


The first Beech, Fagus sylvatica, trees I looked at had some old Phyllonorycter messaniella empty and browned mines, but further round on the north side, there were a couple of perhaps more recent and I think probable Phyllonorycter maestingella mines. And as usual there were some I couldn't make my mind up about.

I think this is pulled quite tight and is probably maestingella, lower side then upper side:



This (I think) is a second example:



Here are some old mines of what is probably Phyllonorycter messaniella.




Here is a new mine, with the caterpillar visible within it, next to a very old mine. There is no sign of any crease in the new mine.


However here is an old mine that still apparently shows sign of a central crease:


There were also some quite chunky brownish Stigmella mines, quite possibly Stigmella hemargyrella, as the egg seems to be away from the midrib. Notice the narrow start and first section of the mine, to the left, which apparently increases in size very abruptly.


Here is another example:


And a third, again starting at the leaf margin and finishing near the midrib, this time with a clear exit hole:


Nothing else, except the common leafhopper marks and the Hartigiola annulipes galls I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment