Friday 5 September 2014

A still afternoon at low tide, Cliffe Pools.

A fantastic view of a Common Sandpiper today, best ever!

On Radar pool I saw about 3+ Greenshank, Tringa nebularia, and 2 more on Flamingo. 2 of the 3+ on Radar were moving about eagerly in an almost robotic manner - difficult to describe but very pleasing to watch. Their heads always look particularly pale and round to me. There were also 60+ Coot, c25 Mallard, 10+ Teal, at least 4 Tufted Duck apparently in moult, 30+ Lapwing, 10+ Redshank, 30+ Dunlin (I didn't notice any Little Stints, but...), 2 Black-headed Gulls and 1 Common Sandpiper - perhaps the one I got really good close views of later?

With the Lapwings on the Flamingo beach there were 2 Ruff, Philomachus pugnax, recognizable by their "long-necked but pot-bellied" appearance, and great for me to see and identify - I am hoping to become slightly more confident on waders! These birds were quite pale, with pale faces and shorter beaks than the Greenshank, and I was semi-convinced that I could see their "scaly" backs. Their legs were quite dark, which might perhaps indicate first winter birds, although I couldn't be sure by any means. 

No comments:

Post a Comment