Friday 10 January 2014

Scaup at Conwy

2 pairs of Red-breasted Merganser, dozens of Teal and Mallard, 30+ Canada Geese, 1 Snipe, 4+ Little Grebe, 5+ Coot, and I also managed to see one drake Scaup, although I don't think I got a photo! Many small groups of starlings rocketing over and also several Redshank on the shore.

Scaup, or Greater Scaup, Aythya marila, is a very common fully migratory duck in the Northern hemisphere, some of whom winter in the UK and a very few pairs breed in Shetland, etc.. There is a complex courtship ritual, leading to a monogamous pair bond for the season. They breed communally and the male abandons the nest to moult after the duck has laid her eggs. The duck takes care of the nest and then the young.

Aythya are all diving duck, collecting shellfish and plants etc. from the seabed as well as insects,and then eating them on the surface, Easiest to spot in the UK wintering on estuaries, including the Dee, Solway, Forth and Moray, and may be gregarious.

I saw a pair at Cliffe Pools December 2012, once they had been pointed out to me. I found this drake on my own but I had seen it posted as a possible on the board in the reception building, so I was prepared to see it. Still a good bird, and I got a good enough view to see the dark green sheen on the black head.

No comments:

Post a Comment